To make custom ribbon for hair bows use Glue Dots® Glue Lines 25ft. The Glue Lines come on a continuous roll making it very easy to attach to ribbon strands. Stack one ribbon color on top of another and glue in place for your own custom style ribbon pattern. Using Glue Lines to create custom ribbon is one of the best ways that I have found to attach one ribbon to another. Ironing adhesive onto ribbons can be a real pain and make the ribbon too stiff, hot gluing two ribbons together often leaves marks and bumps in the ribbon. I designed a fall loopy bow on a French hair clip using my own unique style ribbon color combos created using Glue Dots® Glue Lines.
Glue Dots® Glue Lines
22” of 5/8” wide purple satin
22” of 5/8” wide gray satin
22” of 3/8” black grosgrain with white stitch
22” of 3/8” orange grosgrain with red stitch
2” French Clip
Bowdabra® Bow Wire
1. Begin by cutting 4 strands of ribbon of 22” long ribbon.
2. Attach the Glue Dots® Glue Lines to the center of the grosgrain ribbon.
3. Press the satin and the grosgrain ribbons together to create your own unique style ribbon.
4. Create two strands of unique ribbon.
5. Attach the ribbon strands to a large French clip. The French clip is the easiest to work with if you remove the centerpiece and place it to the side.
6. Dovetail and seal the ends of the two strands. Attach the end to the French clip using Bowdabra Bow Wire.
7. Create loops with the two strands. Once the two loops are formed wrap the wire once around the ribbon and the clip. Continue forming strands and crisscrossing the ribbon.
8. Create loops until you reach the end of the clip. Remember after each set of loops is formed to wrap the Bowdabra Bow Wire around the ribbon and the clip.
9. When you reach the end knot the wire and dovetail and seal the ends.
10. Trim away excess wire and re-insert the metal centerpiece of the French clip.
11. Your unique fall hair bow with custom ribbons is complete.
- I wrote this blog post while participating on the Glue Dots® design team.