August 15, 2011
Crepe Paper Roses Tutorial
I have searched and collected Lapis silk flowers, Lapis ribbon, Lapis crafting gems...but Lapis crepe paper - SCORE! I bought every package of purple (Lapis) crepe paper at the Dollar Store! Below is two of 10 rolls I bought.
I have been assigned the designing and making the table centerpieces. I have almost everything I need to make them but I needed filler! You know something not that expensive that I can mass-produce in the hundreds!!
At home with piles of purple crepe paper streamers around me I began making crepe paper roses. After I finished a few I decided to do a quick google search to see if any other crafters had made crepe paper roses. Yep, so many crafting people out there I was not the first to make crepe paper roses, from crepe paper purchased at the Dollar Store, no less!! Filth Wizardry used crepe paper to make small ribbon roses for her children's class for Valentine's Day. She even shows a video of how she made them!! The video is so cute with her children talking in the background! Entertaining and informative.
.....The only thing I did differently when I made my roses is I didn't fold the crepe paper in half but used the full size so my roses are bigger. Like Filth Wizardry I didn't use a glue gun. The crepe paper is sticky and holds together very well!
1. Create a 6" to 7" tail by folding the crepe paper down at an angle.
2. Start to roll the crepe paper in to create the inside of the rose.
3. To create the rose petals fold the crepe paper slightly and bring the edge to the center and pinch.
4. Continue folding and turning your rose until you are happy with it. Tear the crepe paper from the spool and twist it around the bottom.
5. Add floral leaves by wrapping the wire around the rose's crepe paper stem. Add a floral stem and cover everything with floral tape.
6. Create as many crepe paper roses as you would like. In my case only 97 more to go!