June 13, 2013

Polka Dot Mason Jar Tutorial Inspired by DIY Mason Jars 35 Creative Crafts and Projects for the Classic Container

I recently had the pleasure of reading DIY Mason Jars 35 Creative Crafts and
Projects for the Classic Container.  I LOVE mason jar crafts and the thought of having an entire book dedicated to them made me super excited!

One of the crafts that really intrigued me was a sparkle mason jar.  Author, Melissa Averinos makes a sparkle mason jar by using star confetti, mod podge, and glitter.  Her sparkle mason jar looked beautiful and I was inspired to make my own version.


To make my polka dot mason jar I began with the following materials:


Next, to make my project I began by brushing the antique matte mod podge on the inside of the jar.  I chose the antique matte mod podge because I want my project to be muted and not so bold.  The antique matte mod podge is perfect for that!  Next, I sprinkled some sequins inside of the jar.



I then slowly started sprinkling some green and silver glitter into the mason jar.


Once the entire jar was covering in glitter I wanted an hour and then added another layer of antique matte mod podge to completely seal the inside of the jar.  It took about 12 hours for the entire thing to completely dry.  At first it looked blotchy and I was worried that this was a craft fail.  However, after 12 hours everything looked great and I love it!  You can place an electric tea light inside or a candle.  You can also place a smaller jar inside and use it as a vase.

The sequins look just like painted polka dots and the antique matte mod podge along with the glitter gave the jar a frosted look!



Love this project and are looking for more mason jar craft inspiration? DIY Mason Jars: Thirty-Five Creative Crafts and Projects for the Classic Container by Melissa Averinos is separated into five parts.  The first part is all about the history and miscellaneous goodness of mason jars, second part is using mason jars in the kitchen, third part is using mason jars around the home, fourth part how to gift give with mason jars, and final fifth part is creative uses for mason jars.


Each tutorial has a material list along with clear step-by-step instructions.  Best of all there wasn't a single craft that I didn't have supplies on hand to make!  I hate when craft books have such obscure materials that I would have to invest hundreds of dollars in supplies just to make a single craft.  The crafts are easy to make, easy to follow - my kind of book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Updates Daily by Feedburner

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner