January 18, 2013

Book Review: The Modern-Day Pioneer: Simple Living in the 21st Century

Are you a modern-day pioneer? Or are you like me and just aspire for a simpler pioneer way of living?



To me, pioneer living is synonymous with frugal living and that means savings in my bank account. And, who doesn’t love that!

Author, Charlotte Denholtz, is a woman after my own heart! She lives in Vermont with her family. My family and I live in New Hampshire, and this book is full of practical knowledge that is useful to New Englanders.

In the past, I have dabbled with some of the topics this book touches on but never fully mastered them. For instance, Charlotte has entire chapter on gardening. I have tried year after year having a large vegetable garden but I haven’t had the best luck. I am always excited to start the seedlings indoor (they do very well) but they never thrive outside. Charlotte, shares ways for container gardening and raised bed gardening. Last year, my flower garden did great and so did my herb garden. Crossing my fingers with the help of this book I can master vegetable gardening!

Charlotte teaches canning, pickling, and drying. I have never canned, pickled, or dried and I am excited to attempt them all!

Several years ago, I was very into making bread for my family. It is a process but can be a great money saver. I plan to start making bread again.  I am very intrigued by some of her recipes like; Buttermilk Potato Bread and 3-Grain Bread. I will have to let you know how they turn out! 

Modern-Day Pioneer shares a wealth of practical knowledge for making your own beer, soaps, candle making, and homemade cleaning supplies. Learn how to use herbs to aid in healing. Sew quilts, hem pants, add buttons, and fix holes and tears in you and your family’s clothes.

The book’s appendix is a wonderful quick view resource. Learn vegetable yields and plantings, vegetable watering and fertilizing needs, along with a very handy standard U.S./metric measurement conversion.

Disclosure: I received The Modern-Day Pioneer free of charge for my honest review and opinion.

If this book interests you please use the link below to purchase the book. I will receive a percentage of the sales - this will help me to continue to provide free craft tutorials and reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Updates Daily by Feedburner

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner