March 2, 2011

National Craft Month Day 2 - Decorating Your Banister

I love to decorate my banister according to a current holiday or season.  First and foremost, I want something that I can easily put up and take down without ruining my banister.  Secondly, I want something that just makes me happy every time I see it!

I am a Bowdabra designer and I use my Bowdabra to make all of my bows.  I decided to make some simple loopy bows first, next stack some green wire garland on top to form a four-leaf clover, and lastly I added a green pom pom for the center.  The greatest thing about this bow is that I was able to make it all in one easy step inside of my Bowdabra.

1. To begin cut and dove-tail the ends of two strands of ribbon long enough to fit the length of your banister, with tails hanging down.



2. Next, place a 24" strand of Bowdabra Bow Wire folded in half into the Bowdabra.  Then place the two ribbons into the Bowdabra at the spot that you want your first bow to be located. 



3. Then using the same ribbons or coordinating ribbons make several loops using the Bowdabra to hold it all in place.



4. Then using green wire garland place it into the Bowdabra so that you have two loops.  Place more wire green garland into the Bowdabra to form two more additional loops for a total of four wire loops.



5. Next, place a green yarn pom pom in the center of the Bowdabra.  Yes, the yarn pom pom fits great into the Bowdabra!  It makes the perfect centerpiece for your bow!



6. Scrunch the bow down with your Bowdabra and then tie it all together with your Bowdabra Bow Wire.  Thread the two Bowdabra Bow Wire tails through the wire loop and pull tightly to hold your bow firmly together.



7. Take the bow out of the Bowdabra and twist and tie the Bowdabra Bow Wire.  Fluff the bow and form the garland clover.  To form the clover; take each garland loop and place it north, east, south, and west.  Next, press with your finger into the center of the garland wire forming a heart.



8. Make an additional bow for the other side of the banister.  Place the ribbon tails into the Bowdabra at the point you want to start your next bow.



9. Attach your bows to the banister using the left-over Bowdabra Bow Wire on the back of each bow.



Stay tuned tomorrow for another post for National Craft Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Updates Daily by Feedburner

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner