Searching for the perfect summer-time recipe, I found it on Splenda’s website; Citrus Salsa! This salsa looks wonderful and tastes great.
I placed half of the salsa that I made into a canning jar and will be giving it as a hostess gift. The other half I will be putting out with chips for an appetizer before Easter dinner.
The thing I like the most about this recipe is that children can help make it, as well. My children helped by peeling the oranges, tearing cilantro into small pieces, pouring in the liquid ingredients, sprinkling the Splenda, and peeling the skin from the tomatoes that I had blanched.
How to blanch tomatoes: Cut a small “X” at the bottom of a tomato. Place the 4 tomatoes in boiling water. Keep tomatoes in boiling water for only 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon remove tomatoes from boiling water and immediately place them in a large bowl of ice water. Let tomatoes cool. Then slowly peel the skin off the tomato starting at the “X”
• 4 roma tomatoes
• 2 large oranges, peeled and diced
• 1 large Vidalia onion, peeled and chopped
• 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• ¼ cup fresh orange juice
• 3 packets SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 teaspoon salt
1. Bring small saucepan of water to a boil. Blanch tomatoes for 30 seconds, and then rinse with cold water. Peel and chop tomatoes.
2. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until mixed thoroughly. Allow to stand at room temperature for one hour. Mix and serve. Refrigerate any unused salsa.
Serving Size: 1 cup salsa. Serve Citrus Salsa with baked tortilla chips or on top of grilled chicken or fish.
What are your thoughts on Splenda?
To be honest I didn’t have a good or bad feeling about Splenda. I have used it before in my coffee or on fruit but it is not part of my regular routine.
It wasn’t until Mom Central asked me try Splenda that the “light bulb” went on, and I realized all the ways I could replace the sugar in my diet with Splenda.
For more wonderful Splenda recipes, cooking and baking tips, and to sign up for their monthly newsletter visit: Splenda.tastebook.com
“I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Splenda and received products necessary to facilitate my candid review. In addition, a donation was made in my name to the Meals on Wheel organization to thank me for taking the time to participate.”